Technology for People Management and Talent Development in Not-for-Profits
Not-for-Profit (NfP) organisations bring together people to work together towards a cause. Therefore, like for-profit organizations, managing human resources effectively is a vital need for NfPs too.NfPs face some unique challenges:
the presence of volunteers who bring their own set of challenges as ‘employees’
the issue of defining adequate compensation and rewards
the issue of altruistic motivation
- HR Technology can help NfPs implement many of best practices, enhance employee engagement and also reduce the cost of the HR function.
- The HR system should cover the entire life-cycle of an employee, from hiring to separation providing end-to-end processes. An integrated life cycle management system would allow an NfP to have a single solution for all its HR needs, instead of ending up with different solutions for different sub-functions, which may result in islands of automation.
- Automated HR solutions, such as EmployWise, also have employee self-service portals’ allows employees and management to view and update information, manage services such as leave approvals, and can provide valuable performance assessment insights. These allow NfPs greater efficiencies, ease of access, staff empowerment/autonomy, adaptability and result in greater staff retention.
- While selecting a solution, NfPs should prefer SaaS (software as a service) solutions. These systems run on the cloud and are accessed through web browsers. Thus, there are available anywhere, anytime. They usually have no upfront capital costs and minimal implementation costs . These solutions also require no additional infrastructure for implementation. Often, NfPs cannot afford perpetual license fees and additional infrastructure that comes with regular automated HR implementations. However, a SaaS solution will allow NfPs to pay for software incrementally, and eliminates implementation costs. SaaS solutions can also be accessed anytime and anywhere, a boon for NGOs that have many employees that work from home.
- A good integrated SaaS HR solution is an important equalizer for NfPs allowing them to leverage powerful applications so far possible only for very large enterprises.